Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Grade 1 - First Set of RED Words


RED Words

These words that are being sent home are what is known as RED words.  These words are SIGHT words.  They don’t follow spelling or syllable patterns and are not decodable using phonics.  Students need to learn how to read and write them through memorization. 

For right now, I am only asking that students and families work on being able to read them.  This will require repeated practice as it requires memorization.  We will also be working on them in the classroom.  New lists of RED words will come home periodically. 

If you like, you can cut them apart and use them like flash cards.  I would also recommend that you have your child help point out these words to you while you are reading to them or when they come across it in the ‘real world’.

I
the
my
you
said
your
are
be
of
no


Farewell!!

Dear Students and Families, I am so sad to be writing this final blog post for the 2019/2020 school year.  I know this year of grade 1 and...